Thursday, July 3, 2008

Reconcile with an old friend

Reconcile with an old friend. All has been forgotten.

I' m not going to say anything flippant here. When I got this fortune this Tuesday, it was almost prophetic and kind of struck a chord in my heart. I've been struggling a little with an old friend who I think is mad at me (for unknown, but suspected, reasons). I've not heard from her for a while, despite my emails. I even sent her an email the day before I got this fortune. Still waiting to see if I get a response.

The friend I mentioned is not in the photograph--it's one from my early childhood--she was my friend when I was 2 years old, through now. I will try one more time, next week, to see if she's willing to tell the truth rather than give me the brush-off. If nothing happens, then--well, that's that.

I also am recalling some passages from In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner:

"I'm sorry for what happened last winter," she wrote, deciding that this was probably the best way to handle it--flat out, in the open. "I am sorry I hurt you. I want..." And she paused again, aware that everyone was staring at her, as if she were some rare acquatic creature recently brought into captivity, some animal at the zoo who'd just learned an amusing new trick.

"What's the word for when you want to make something right?

"Reconciliation," Ella said quietly, and spelled it, and Maggie wrote it twice, just to be sure she got it right.

2 comments:

Liberty Lessard said...

I came across your blog today. Hope you don't mind me reading it. I have to say, very cute and insightful idea you have going there. Fortune cookies can have the greatest affect on us sometimes!!! Good luck on reconciling with your friend.

Me said...

Of course--you are welcome to read the blog--I do not mind at all :)